Friday, March 15, 2013

REVIEW | Snowball Music Festival 2013




PHOTO BY: Stephanie Seigel
ARTICLE BY: Patrick Reinhard


Any opportunity to rage in the mountains I’ll quickly take. Add that to Snowball’s lineup and you have a great weekend ahead of you!

After moving to Winter Park, I didn’t really know what to expect from the festival, but the level of productions and the layout of the venue were amazing (those of you who braved the cold know exactly what I’m talking about). Grand Park was a perfect festival grounds for the show. The mountains were in the background and trees surrounded you on three sides; It made a great backdrop for the festival. With the kick off of festival season and midterms right around the corner Snowball was a great excuse to get out and have a little fun and it has transformed from just being that festival in the snow, to one of the major festivals to look forward to each year. Every night the venue was filled with flag wavers, awesome music, and smiling faces all ready to get down. The sense of community you feel in Colorado at concerts is unbeatable and this show only proved that. 

I ended up meeting a ton of people from out of state so I’m glad this show has some reach around the country, but even with all of those people from out of state Colorado flags were a dime a dozen. I have to admit I didn’t know a lot of the music on the lineup this year, but after going to the show I can definitely say I need to download some new music! All of the artists seem to play great shows and they looked like they had a blast doing it! The main stage was nestled back in the corner next to the big air jump with some lucky people shredding during the set changes. 

I was a little confused on the placement of the LED screen behind the lights, but nonetheless every show we saw there was a good time. Pretty Lights took over the main stage on Saturday and the crowd packed in to see him play. There was a lot of oldies, but goodies, as well as some new hot sh*t which I was very happy to see. One of the best sets of the weekend though was Grizmatik. Made up of Griz and Gramatik, this was Grizmatik’s first real time playing a show together, other than a couple songs, and they absolutely killed it! Their funky beats were more than enough to satisfy the crowd and got everyone jumping. One of the artists I hadn’t heard of before was Polica and after the show I quickly got their album. They’re mellow but have some bangin’ beats. I would highly suggest you check them out. Luckily the weather held out except for Saturday morning when it dumped making Saturday the coldest night by far, but other than that the weather was beautiful. 

The only complaint I have is the bus system getting to the show, they need to rethink that a bit. Of course free shuttle busses are the best but the schedule seemed to be messed up and took way too long to get there. Leaving the concert each night was no hassle at all but trying to get there was. Over all Snowball was a great time and I can’t wait to go back next year!